When you can't bring all the kids to VBS, you bring VBS to all the kids!
Life feels like a shipwreck these days—everything’s different! We’re not sure what’s next. For the past few months, home has felt like a remote island—you can wave to people, you can visit on-line, but you can’t get close.
This VBS package gives you some power to do what works best for your family. It’s the story of the apostle Paul’s shipwreck on his way to Rome. He knew God was in control, even in the midst of chaos. He stayed true to his faith, and God led him safely on his journey.
We can’t gather in person, but we know you’ll have smooth sailing with this DIY format. Here’s how VBS works this summer:
It has two components: Each participant will have access to a few on-line resources that can be viewed anytime, and a VBS kit with all the materials one child needs to complete the projects. We’ll deliver the kit to your home if you are in the Iowa City area.
If you don’t live close by, we’d still love for you to participate. You can request our on-line version for free. This will require you to gather your own materials for the projects, but they are all common household items. Another option is for us to mail the resource kit to you, with all the pieces you need. If we mail it, please consider making a donation to St. Andrew to help cover mailing costs.
This year’s “Shipwreck” VBS can be done anytime. It’s divided into three sections. You can do it over three days, spread it over three weeks, or do it all at once. If social distancing restrictions ease up, you may want to gather with another family to do this together. It’s totally up to your family.
Families are encouraged to work through the packets together. Younger kids will need help from a parent or older sibling.
The VBS materials include:
- The printed story: The passage from Acts that tells of Paul’s journey and shipwreck.
- Supplies for craft projects.
- Supplies for science experiments.
- A non-perishable snack.
- Activity sheets.
- More activities, goodies, and ideas for stay at-home fun.
Online resources include:
- Links to a video welcoming participants to VBS
- An animated video of the story
- Music videos with kids singing praise songs that relate to our Shipwreck theme.
Shipwreck VBS kits will be available by June 1. To request a kit, send an email with this information to:
- Name of each child who wants a kit. (Each kit has materials for just one child.)
- Child’s grade. The kits are designed for three different age groups. Preschool and kindergarten; 1st, 2nd, & 3rd grades; 4th, 5th & 6th grades.
- We encourage you to share VBS photos that include Flat Jesus. Let us know if you already have a Flat Jesus at your house, or if you need one.
- Parent’s name, phone number, and street address for delivery.
- A couple of options for best days and times to deliver the kits to your home. We’ll leave them at your front door—no contact.